The GALA Queer Archive (GALA) invites applications for a paid internship opportunity:
We are seeking a registered postgraduate student, or someone who has recently graduated from a tertiary institution to intern with us at our Johannesburg office. The internship is a year long, part-time (15-20 hours a week) position. The internship starts at the beginning of April 2024 and is completed at the end of March 2025.
HOW TO APPLY: Complete this form where you will be required to upload ONE DOCUMENT that includes a one page (max. 500 words) motivation letter and a CV (max. 2 pages), and the contact details of two referees.
Applications close: Sunday 28 January 2024 by midnight. Any applications submitted after this date and time will not be considered.
Preference will be given to LGBTQIA+ persons of colour.
We reserve the right not to make an appointment. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you have not been contacted by GALA in two weeks of the application closing date, please consider your application to be unsuccessful.
The intern will be involved in all aspects of our work. This includes archival work, education and training, youth work, publishing and events. The intern's work plan will depend partly on the candidate’s skills, personality, interests, education and experience. Some areas that the intern will be expected to be involved in include:
- Sorting and inventorying of archive material
- Contributing to the GALA newsletter and social media
- Workshops and event support
- Youth engagement
- The intern must be a postgraduate student or someone who has recently graduated from a tertiary institution (within the last 12 months).
- Applicants should be well-organised (with good time management skills), self-motivated, energetic and reliable, with strong attention to detail.
- A strong interest in human rights, specifically concerning LGBTQIA+ issues.
- An interest in queer history and activism, and education.
- Computer skills (Microsoft Office, internet applications) and internet research skills are required.
- Proficient reading and writing skills.
- Ability to speak in public and group facilitation would be beneficial.
- Applicants must have valid authorisation to intern in South Africa (including student visa).
- Please note we are based at Wits University (Braamfontein) where the COVID-19 vaccination is mandatory for access to campus.
If there are any further queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org