The GALA Queer Archive (GALA) is seeking a full time Programmes Coordinator to join our team in Johannesburg. We are looking for an enthusiastic, dynamic and passionate person to implement GALA’s educational programmatic work. The position requires someone who has extensive experience in SOGIESC facilitation and training. The position requires an empathetic person who can be comfortable to work in diverse and challenging contexts.
HOW TO APPLY: Complete the following form, where you will upload ONE document that includes a motivational letter on why you would like to work at GALA (maximum 500 words) and a CV (maximum 2 pages) and include the contact details of 2 references.
Applications close on 24 June 2022.
Position begins on 01 September, but it would be ideal if the candidate can start sooner.
Preference will be given to LGBTQIA+ persons of colour.
We reserve the right not to make an appointment. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you have not been contacted by GALA by 15 July 2022, please consider your application to be unsuccessful.
For any further enquiries, please contact email@example.com
Overview of Roles and Responsibilities for Project Coordinator: GALA Queer Archive 2022
- In consultation with the Director, the Project Coordinator defines the scope of projects and creates detailed work plans. This includes developing a project’s timeline, budget, coordinating consultants and meeting donor requirements.
- In consultation with the Director, recruit, manage and supervise suitable contractors and volunteers to implement project activities such as workshop facilitation, catering, venue hire and other logistical activities.
- Oversee, monitor and evaluate the implementation of project activities and uphold positive and beneficial relationships with donors and partners.
- Manages the financial aspects of projects in consultation with the Director, administrator, and relevant GALA team members, ensuring that projects are within budget. This will also require preparing and overseeing reports for the GALA Board and relevant funders to assist with the financial accountability of the organisation.
- Facilitate and lead group discussions and workshops around SOGIESC, working in collaboration with consultants and partner organisations, activist and university networks and institutions where appropriate and necessary.
- Develop content for educational programming where needed. This may involve collaborating with various experts, writing detailed workshop plans, developing training materials and presentations etc.
- Represent the interests of GALA at stakeholder engagements such as conferences, public events, news and media activities, public speaking engagements, national working groups and social engagements. This is in order to show solidarity with queer movement building initiatives in South Africa and in the region more broadly.
- Provide overall support to the Director and GALA team, in order to assist with project implementation, day to day operations and organisational strategic direction.
- Connect various stakeholders to the archive, through a process of networking in order to keep building on GALA’s public profile and to expand GALA’s network for fundraising, programmatic, archival, research and educational purposes.
Requirements for Programmes Coordinator Position – GALA Queer Archive 2022:
- Relevant Degree and/or Diploma.
- Minimum three years experience in the relevant sector or field.
- Must have sound knowledge and experience of using training/facilitation methodologies and techniques, specifically focused on SOGIESC.
- Must have a keen interest in transformation practices related to gender and sexual diversity within institutions of higher learning.
- Must have a critical understanding of LGBTIQ rights and protective policies for LGBTIQ students at institutions of higher learning.
- Must be capable of developing content geared toward sensitisation around gender and sexual diversity in various contexts.
- Must be passionate about LGBTIQ movement building and solidarity action, especially in relation to queer student led movements in tertiary education.
- Keen interest in LGBTIQ history and storytelling.
- Be passionate about human rights and social justice.
- Have a sound understanding of financial project management and budgets.
- Must have excellent writing skills (donor reports, newsletter articles, funding proposals etc.)
- Ability to use the MS Office suite at an intermediate level.
- Excellent time management, planning and organising skills
- The ability to coordinate and manage relevant consultants and partnerships to implement GALA’s programmatic work.
- Must demonstrate excellent logistical and administrative skills and experience eg: booking venues, catering, travel etc.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English are required, and knowledge of at least one other South African language is advantageous.
- Works well in a team
- Valid documentation to work in South Africa
- Valid driver’s license