GALA is a centre for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) culture and education in Africa. Our mission is, first and foremost, to act as a catalyst for the production, preservation and dissemination of knowledge on the history, culture and contemporary experiences of LGBTI people.
IMPORTANT: The position requires a person with an open mind and a commitment to human rights. As an LGBTI organization, the candidate would need to be comfortable working in an environment that engages with sexuality and gender issues. Applicants with an interest in LGBTI rights and history would be preferred.
This internship is for a period of five moths, starting 1 August 2016. Working hours are 8:30 – 16:30, based at the GALA offices at University Corner, Braamfontein. The internship pays a fair stipend.
About the position
The media intern’s responsibilities will include the following:
- Getting GALA’s three website’s up-to-date
- Creating website content
- Archiving old website content
- Writing press releases and other media content
- Developing a social media program for GALA (specifically Facebook and Twitter)
- Attending occasional events and documenting them for GALA (note taking, photographing, writing up an event description or report)
- Assisting with updating GALA’s archive guide to collections
- Assisting with digitising archive collections
- Assisting with general administrative duties when necessary
- Assisting with any other projects and events that may be taking place at GALA during the internship period, these might include exhibition research, book launches, public talks and seminars.
Qualifications and competencies:
- Minimum: undergraduate tertiary degree completed, preferably in the fields of Media Studies or similar
- Highly computer literate – the candidate would need to be able to work on the backend of our websites, create and upload digital content, and engage on social media on behalf of GALA
- An active interest in LGBTI history and activism
- Excellent command of English, both spoken and written
- Able to follow instructions and work independently, as well as part of team when necessary
Please send CV and cover letter to Nobantu Nqolobe: email@example.com by 17 July 2016.
GALA reserves the right not to fill this position.